Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recipe - Almond Butter Cookies (Paleo friendly)

My little girl loves cookies so I searched around for a paleo friendly cookie recipe. I came across this one and gave it a try.

Almond Butter Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 cup of coconut crystals

Cooking Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl and stir until integrated. Using a tablespoon, scoop dough and roll into balls. Flatten and place on a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper).
  3. You can place the cookies pretty close together as they don’t spread much. I fit all of them onto one standard sized cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies should still feel a little soft if you press gently on the center. They will lighten in color and flatten when they are done.

***Changes I made***
  • I didn't have coconut crystals so I substituted
    • 1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
    • 1 tbsp of raw honey
  • I baked them for 8 minutes, pulled them out, and topped them all with one dark chocolate chip in the middle. Then I put them back in for another 4 minutes.

Here is the picture of them from the website and this is exactly what mine looked like, except with a chocolate chip in the center.


My thoughts:
The good news is these are good, healthy cookies. The bad news is these taste like good, healthy cookies. My four year old approved of the chocolate chip and that's about all. She ate her way to the chocolate chip and then said, "I don't think I really like almond butter daddy. But I love chocolate!" Personally, I like them alright. They're not very sweet, but that's ok with me. I may just add a little more honey next time. I actually think they taste a bit like samoas (girl scout cookies). If you try them I'd love to know your thoughts and opinions!

Yours In Health,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment